Art Walk History Hunt!Posted on November 22, 2014
1. The History Hunt is a game happening during Art Walk 2014, in collaboration with the Durham Arts Council and the Museum of Durham History (located at the History Hub, 500 W. Main Street).
2. Clues will be available at the History Hub, DAC information booths, and online starting at 10am on Saturday, November 22.
3. Find the locations of the clues and tweet a selfie with the hashtag #DurhamArts
4. Tweet 4 out of 5 correct answers and you win! Stop by the History Hub during Art Walk hours to pick up your prize. Prizes include vouchers for free mini cupcakes form The Cupcake Bar, gift certificates to Letters Bookshop, and free yoga classes from Global Breath.
5. Think you know Durham pretty well? Follow @durhamhistory for bonus question announcements with special prizes!
1. This small open space is still a “Major” part of Durham’s daily activities. Once home to the impressive Washington Duke Hotel, you can now see our city’s well-known symbol and beloved mascot here!
2. In the 1930’s this structure began its life as a fine jewelry store and office building. Now it is home to a cafe that provides hot coffee, cool jazz, and encourages visitors to be themselves!
3. This beautiful building’s facade could be described as “Dime-store Deco.” Beginning in the ‘30’s, Durhamites could get lots of goods at low prices here on Main street.
4. Beginning in 1921 this 6 story brick building was home to two influential and profitable African American owned businesses and was the hub of “Black Wall Street.” One of those companies operates in the building today!
5. Built in 1906, this building was first a high school, then City Hall, and is now a thriving center where Durham’s creative citizens are nurtured and celebrated!