MoDH is Hiring! Part-time Manager PositionPosted on March 3, 2020
About the Museum of Durham History (MoDH)
Located in the heart of Durham’s vibrant downtown, the Museum of Durham History is an emerging and innovative 21st-century museum that uses stories about people, places and things to foster curiosity, encourage further exploration and promote and understanding of diverse perspectives about the Durham community and its history. The museum is located at 500 W. Main St.
Manager Job Description
The MoDH Manager will be responsible for opening and operating the Museum on scheduled weekends, some evenings and holidays. This position also includes volunteer coordination and fund development assistance during scheduled weekday shifts. The manager will also ensure visitors are welcomed, exhibit areas are kept tidy, and ensuring all policies and procedures are followed.
This is a part-time position at $15/hour, time and a half on holidays.
- Open and operate the museum on Saturdays, Sundays, select holidays, periodic special events, and evenings for Third Fridays.
- Provide oversight of front desk operations and supervise weekend volunteers. Provide general information about the museum and exhibits, collect and track visitor feedback. Assess and resolve any visitor concerns and provide feedback to the directors as needed.
- Ensure the museum is kept clean, orderly, and safe, and that museum exhibits and technology are functioning properly.
- Assist with special projects and tasks as assigned by the Director of Operations and Executive Director, e.g. secure image permissions for exhibits, research history trivia for the Indy classifieds, etc.
- Oversee museum rentals as needed
- Recruit, interview, and train all volunteer applicants
- Attend volunteer recruiting events in the community
- Schedule and coordinate volunteers for shifts and special events.
- Send a weekly email to core and weekend volunteers with updates and reminders
- Work with the Director of Operations and Executive Director to identify and assign volunteer projects
- Arrange quarterly volunteer meetings and team building events as needed
- Develop and manage volunteer policies and procedures
- Process and acknowledge donations
- Run weekly and monthly reports for bookkeepers and the Fundraising Committee
- Provide support for holiday and end-of-year mailings, annual report, etc.
- Schedule and attend Fundraising Committee meetings, take meeting minutes
- Assist with other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director
- High School Diploma/GED with 1-3 years work experience involving guest services, management, retail and/or sales
- Must possess strong organizational and managerial skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to interact and communicate positively with visitors and volunteers.
- General knowledge and interest in the Durham community
- Must have availability 2-3 weekends/month and occasionally Friday evenings
- Basic computer skills, familiar with Microsoft Office.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in museum studies, history, business administration, or any other relevant field.
- 1+ years of experience working in a museum
- 1+ years of experience of database management
- 1+ years of experience working with volunteers
Hours: Up to 16 hours/week. Weekdays Tuesday-Friday 10AM-1PM or 1PM-5PM, Saturdays 10AM-5PM, Sundays 1PM-5PM, Third Fridays 5-8PM, Holidays as needed.
This position reports directly to the Director of Operations, Jeanette Shaffer.
To apply, email the following to jshaffer@modh,.org by April 6, 2020: a cover letter, resume/CV, and a list for 2-3 references with affiliation, phone, and email.