Historic Russell School Exhibit- Public Celebration July 17Posted on June 10, 2015
School may be out this summer, but school will be in at the Hub.
Historic Russell School: Durham’s Last Rosenwald Schoolhouse opened June 9 to tell the story of this historic landmark, which is Durham’s sole surviving example of the Rosenwald movement.
The school was built in 1927 as part of a system of schools funded by philanthropist Julius Rosenwald and local communities in the rural South to provide education for African Americans during segregation. The Russell School is located at 2001 St. Mary’s Road in northern Durham County, and is currently a community center owned by Cain’s Chapel Baptist Church. A group of dedicated volunteers is working to restore the school.
Stephanie Pryor, executive director of Historic Russell School, curated the Hub exhibition, which runs through December 31, 2015. The exhibit was made possible thanks to generous support from PNC. A public reception will be held at the Hub on July 17, from 5:30pm to 7:00pm. Light hors d’oeuvres and other refreshments will be served at the event, where guests will have the opportunity to learn about the legacy of the Russell School, as well as the school’s ongoing mission for preservation.